Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Non-Yahoo Players

With the draft coming up, I wanted to know how we will determine who is available? Obviously we will have the "dropped" list and most MLB veterans are already in the Yahoo system - but what about prospects who may or may not be in the Yahoo system at the beginning of the season?

Personally, I think we should use the following rules for allowing a non-Yahoo player to be on a team:
1. The non-Yahoo player can only be picked up in the yearly supplemental draft.
2. The drafting team retains the rights to the player for only one year. If the player is not added to the Yahoo system during that year the player is available to be re-drafted the next year.
3. An empty bench spot must be retained to accomodate for the player.
4. The empty roster spot cannot be used to pick up a player on the DL.
5. The teams finishing in the bottom 5 of the league in the previous year may have an additional non-Yahoo player retained without having to leave a roster spot open (or they can have one and keep their roster spot).

Thoughts?

3 comments:

TheFeatheredWarrior said...

I don't see any real reason to further complicate the league by accounting for players outside the yahoo! universe. How about, if they weren't available at the end of last year, you can't draft them. Also, I wouldn't have traded away all my draft dollars if I had known in advance that I could have a shot at THE ALL POWERFUL JUSTIN SMOAK.

Zach said...

I dont agree with this idea for this league. It would be fun to research deeper into the minors and try to pick a player or 2 you hope will get called up. In this league, we use waivers to pick up minor leaguers. If the top picks arent available because some team has rights to them this year, the number 1 waiver priority isnt really that great.

So, I think this is a great idea, but for another league. JRoss has built his team on youngsters, a lot of whom he has picked up from the number 1 waiver spot. With Lance's idea in place, that will be possible but more difficult. I can afford to save a spot and spend all my money on one of the top prospects, but a team like kyle cant afford to waste all his money AND leave a spot open on his roster in hopes that he gets a player.

So yea, i dont agree.

TheFeatheredWarrior said...

Yeah, I agree with Zach.