Friday, March 13, 2009

In Defense of the Auction Draft

Now that the draft is over, I wanted to defend the auction style. Remember, the purpose of the auction draft was to distribute dollars in order of finish - I decided to see how the draft might have worked out, assuming no one traded any draft dollars. I also took out any players drafted for $1.

To Kyle: Wieters and Billy Butler (and 15$ for remaining players bid at $1)
To Jamie: N. Feliz and Mark Lowe (and 25$ remaining)
To Nick: Cahill and Willis (and 6$ remaining)
To JR: Hanson (and 9$ remaining)
To Andy S: LaPorta (0$ remaining)
To Elliot: Tillman (11$ remaining)
To Eric: Tazawa (36$ remaining)
To Bick: Brett Wallace (32$ remaining)
To Connor: Lars Anderson (51$ remaining)
To Matt: E Andrus (33$ remaining)
To Andrew: Gil Meche (12$ remaining)
To Lance: Homer Bailey (8$ remaining)
To Zach: R Soriano (0$ remaining)
To Steve: K Gregg and JR Towles (9$ remaining)

Players at $1:

Cabrera, Asdrubal
Cabrera, Daniel
Dickerson, Chirs
Gallagher, Sean
Griffey, Jr., Ken
Napoli, Mike
Ross, Cody
Ross, David
Sheffield. Gary
Weeks, Rickie
Wigginton, Ty
Zito, Barry


As you can see, if people had valued their draft dollars appropriately, then the result would have been similar to a snake draft. Perhaps a good way to get an auction draft to work is to not allow the trading of draft dollars. Some managers took adavantage of others who did not appropriately understand the value of their draft dollars - we're fantasy baseball players, not saints.

5 comments:

Zach said...

I agree with Lance...also maybe we should do an auction with no dollar trading after the beginning of round 1. You can trade all offseason but no DD trading during the draft....however, this will pretty much be a snake draft and it will go a lot quicker if we do a snake draft instead.

Another idea, which would take a LOT of thinking through (which I would volunteer to help with) is instituting a salary cap. It would be hard now since we have been operating without one for so long. However, we could set it at 260 and choose a neutral 3rd party to value our players (say baseball prospectus). Just an idea, but it could be fun. At the end of each season, you could choose to renegotiate your players salary (which could be the median between market value and the value you own him for) or drop the player for others to bid on. It would be a ton of fun and would distribute the wealth. For example, what my pitchers used to be (webb, peavy, hamels and CC) would not really be possible.

If this is at all appealing to anyone, I will work on drafting a Set of Rules for transitioning to and operating under the salary cap. It would eliminate draft dollar and offseason confusion, stop teams like the team I had 2 years ago that obliterated everyone, increase the value of youth, etc. Bottom teams would be able to save in salary cap and acquire people like CC and Webb without having to give up scherzer and morrow. I dunno...just thoughts

Zach said...

another comment on the salary cap...baseball prospectus has a really neat tool that allows you to enter the data specific for our league (# teams, what positions used, stats that we get points for, etc) to calculate player values. it is really neat and uses PETCOA numbers in its evaluation.

Zach said...

Example with salary cap: (numbers would change, but here are results with my settings)

My end of season team: 409.84
My current team: 335.20

With a salary cap, as long as I remain near the top, odds are that I would be forced to do trades like CC and Webb for Scherzer and Morrow. Im sure Kyle would like that.

Connor Tapp said...

Zach, I love the cap idea. I've thought myself that this would be the most effective way to make the league more competitive.

I think we should set it so high initially as to make it non-binding, but gradually lower it year after year until we get it down to the customary $260.

I think using BP's player forecast manager would be a pretty good tool for setting current values. After the first year, though, we should let the market determine player values.

I'd very much like to help out with this as well if it's something we're interested in doing.

Kyle Warnock said...

we're thinking of all these gimmick things to make stuff work, but the problem is people just find a way to work the system. You show me a system that's fun that people cant just work... or people who don't care can ruin it and I'll go along with it. Otherwise I'm 100% behind line-order draft.