Friday, December 5, 2008

Official Drop/Dont Drop Players Argument

Ok. So this has been a point of conflict for a while now. Some people complain about a bias against the north. I don't really agree with that, but you have definitely had less say in the issues over the past 3 years since you have lived so far away. Now, we are all spread out so I don't think that argument really has any basis from now on. So, lets move on from that. We all have the same forum now to voice our opinions.

I want to voice my opinion about the drop 3 rule. I do not like it at all. Last time I talked to Connor, he didn't like it (might be different now, idk). Now, eric an Andy said they dont like it either. Who does like it? Im sure JRoss doesnt want to drop any of his young players to pick up some scrubs from other teams, and Elliot probably wont care until the season is nearer. There really is no point in doing it. It wont shift any power at all. However, to counter my own position, I dropped rickie weeks at the end of the year because I thought I was going to have to do it anyway with the drop 3. So, if we dont have to drop 3 anymore, I want him back. I traded away Saito because I valued +1 waiver spot over losing him in the drop 3 (btw, I would have won the league if i didnt do that trade...I wouldnt have without the drop 3 in place). So, everything is kinda screwed up now. Im sure other people made moves under the assumption that we were doing the drop 3. So, how about lets drop 3 this year and from now on we dont add or drop any more positions. If we want to change the format and add more DL spots or positions, thats can be discussed.

BTW, I know this has not been discussed at all, but I would even be in favor of doing something as drastic as abandoning the keepers league for a yearly league if it meant more day to day participation. I think that would be fun too. Comment back everyone!

3 comments:

Steve said...

I'd be agreeable to ending the drop rule in the future if everyone agrees to it.

However, I could not be more strongly against ending the keepers league. People in this league have spent 3 years building for some year that has yet to come. We can't just walk away from the game as soon as former cellar dwellers begin to get competitive. Also, everyone has the opportunity to play in a yearly league in addition to the keepers league. It is easy to find yearly leagues to play in, but it is much harder to find a keepers league. Speaking as someone who has been playing fantasy baseball since the 7th grade, this keepers league is the best experience I've ever had in fantasy baseball.

TheFeatheredWarrior said...

I would be in favor of dropping the keeper's format. Sure, I could find another league to play in with a normal format. In fact, I did that last year. But the people sucked. Besides me, only one other person really checked on a daily basis so I ended up winning (and I think we all know I suck at fantasy baseball). What I like about this league is the level of involvement each player has. The keeper league sounded great to me at first. To be honest though, I don't like it too much. I don't like the idea of laying low this year so my FANTASY baseball team can be good in 3 years. It's fantasy baseball. I want to have fun all season every season. But I can also see why Steve likes it. Maybe there would be enough interest to have two leagues going with the same people involved. One Keeper, one normal (although I doubt my girlfriend would be in favor of that). I'm not about to quit or anything. I'm just saying.

P.S. I don't care if Zack suppossedly lost because of the drop three rule this year. If it's the right thing to do a year from now, we should just do it now.

Connor Tapp said...

I'm also against abandoning the keeper format. I've got an idea that, while somehwat complicated, could keep the developing teams interested for the entire season.

Beginning with, say, 4 weeks to go in the season, we could start an informal playoff between the bottom 8 teams (this would preclude the inclusion of the often unpredictable final week of the season). The set up for this would be head-to-head, but it would simply be done by tallying their accumulated stats for that week. Like a high school tennis match, the final score could be agreed upon by the teams concerned unless some dispute should arise, in which case an appeal could be made to Steve. And this would go on for the first, semifinal, and final rounds until a winner emerged. The winner would receive some sort of draft pick or auction cash prize on top of whatever compensation he is getting for his overall finish. Whaddya think?

That said, I think in the future we should do *drafts* at the end of the season from now on instead of auctions. As it stands, I think that we're going to have an opening bid made in the morning and then no bids all day until 9:30 Eastern. After all, why would you want to bid early? Maybe that's a problem; maybe it isn't. But I think a system where each team had 24 hours to select a player would be less chaotic.

As far as the drop 3 is concerned, I thought I came up with a decent compromise strategy that people seemed to like at the time, but I haven't heard it mentioned.